► Patrick Madden's new collection of essays, Quotidiana, was just recently released and I hear it's terrific. I'm sure it is because I've read several of Patrick's essays in literary journals over the last few years, and heard him speak about the form he most likes to write. Over at the Huffington Post, he takes a look at the essay and asks if it's still relevant in 2010.
►Here's a handy list of meanings for a bunch of publishing industry abbreviations.
►Anna Quindlen ruminates on the future of reading, the book, e-readers, tech literacy and literary snobs.
►Mothers of young children who are also trying to cobble together a writing life might be interested in Christina Katz's new e-book, Author Mama. There's a sweet incentive for those who purchase the Beta edition this month.
►Anyone a member of Backspace? I'm considering joining and would love to hear how you make use of your membership.
►Pamela Redmond Satran is a novelist, magazine freelancer, essayist, and the New York Times-best selling author of a book based on her blog. Now, she's writing a novel online at her cool site HoSprings. Over at our mutual friend Christina Baker Kline's blog, Pam talks about why she decided on this form, what it was like to get it going, and how she's enjoying it.
► I'm curious. How do other writers – or anyone who works at home for that matter – deal with the disruptions of visiting houseguests, children home on school vacations, holidays, and other changes in household routine and rhythms? Let me know (PLEASE let me know!) in comments.
►And finally, I'm told that the rapper Jay-Z once advised fledgling hip hop artists that reading more would make them better songwriters and better rappers. The reason I know this? A college writing student who interviewed me recently compared one of the pieces of advice I gave – that reading more will always make one a better writer – to what Jay-Z said. So, there.
Have a great weekend.
- Two-Week CNF Workshops: You Choose the Week(s) and Topic(s)
- The Writers Circle, Fall 2016. I'm teaching Submissions (South Orange); Beginning (Montclair); Multi-Genre Workshop (Summit)
- * I Should Be Writing! * Boot Camp: Reclaim Your Writing Life. A solo, on-demand, online course. Begin any time.
- Writing Coaching - Customized Assistance, Accountability, Feedback (booking Fall 2016)
- Editorial Services -- Hire Me for Editing, Feedback, Consultation, Writing
- My Writing / Selected Publications