> Do you talk (and post/tweet/write) about your long-range work-in-progress? Or are you in the camp that stays mum so as not to jinx the project?
> Wise post from Julianna Baggott about not getting carried away when you get a debut book deal. Take-away: "Protect your relationship with the page, at all costs, because no matter how the publishing industry defines your role, there’s one place you’re always a writer. The desk. Your long-term relationships is with words on a page."
> Just learned that New Pages (a terrific resource for listings of literary journals) also has a page with alphabetical listing of writers' blogs.
> Speaking of journals - does being published in a print or online journal help a writing career more? (Good stuff in the comments.)
> Memoirist Anthony D'Aries, wrestling with the after-effects of writing about family, on Marion Roach's blog: "In memoir, we live the epilogue."
> Later this summer, I'll be part of a writing program for talented teens. Another member of the teaching team, screenwriter Carol Forbes, has a cool blog where she offers up a daily photo prompt and encouragement for teen girls who write.
> My favorite writing "tools" to pack when leaving home are a slim spiral bound notebook and a smooth gel pen (total cost, about $3). That's because I like writing by hand.
> Narrator "likability" in nonfiction: Does it matter? Jennifer Niesslein reports in The Virginia Quarterly Review.
> At The Millions, a round-up of notable books headed our way in the second half of 2013, including a novel in rhyming iambic pentameter from the late David Rakoff.
Have a great weekend!
- The Writers Circle Spring 2016 Registration open. I'm teaching two classes in Summit, NJ.
- * I Should Be Writing! * Boot Camp: Reclaim Your Writing Life. A solo, on-demand, online course. Begin any time.
- Writing Coaching - Customized Assistance, Accountability, Feedback (booking Spring & Summer 2016)
- Editorial Services -- Hire Me for Writing Projects, Editing, Feedback, Consultation
- My Writing / Selected Publications