► Protagonize is a new online writing community based on collaboration, where writers can create, post, critique, discuss, and enter site contests and challenges.
► Chronicles of New York is a new blog featuring short stories (max. 2,500 words) about the Big Apple and its people.
► Staying with the short story theme for another item, this Gary Vanyerchuk interview challenges short story writers and publishers to monetize. (How I wish the word monetize would disappear; but he makes a valid, though obvious, point.)
► Alan Rinzler has posted an interview with Jay Shaefer, an editor-at-large with Workman Publishing/Algonquin Books, who is always on the lookout for "insanely good debut novelists."
► Do we all need a "slow word movement"?
► Published a year ago, this just came to my attention – a book which compiles writing instruction and advice from the outstanding faculty at the Vermont College of Fine Arts MFA program. You can read an excerpt from the preface by David Jauss and see the table of contents here.
► And finally, for magazine and/or design geeks: And excellent discussion and visual tour appeared on a design blog last week with those responsible for the June 2009 redesign of the print New York Times Magazine. I was particularly struck by how much thought and experimentation went into every detail, no matter how small -- like the connection between the dot on the i and the final dingbat at the end of each article.
Have a great weekend and all good wishes for a prosperous 2010.
- The Writers Circle (Northern NJ) Summer 2015. I'm teaching in Ridgewood, Montclair, & Teen Intensive/Drew Univ.
- * I Should Be Writing! * Boot Camp: Reclaim Your Writing Life. A solo, on-demand, online course. Begin any time.
- Writing Coaching - Customized Assistance, Guidance, Editorial Feedback (booking Summer 2015)
- Editorial Services
- One-Week CNF Workshops: You Choose the Week(s) and Topic(s)
- Events 2015
- My Writing / Publications