Thursday, October 15, 2009

Self Promotion Dept: Back in the Saddle Again


The first piece of my writing ever published (beyond the Neighborhood News which I wrote and sold for a nickel when I was 10, and which lasted exactly two issues, until my parents found out I was hawking it to the neighbors), was a short humor essay for the magazine Horse, Of Course (thankfully now out of print), when I was 12 years old.

For a few years after college, while competing on the horse show circuit, I supported myself (no, not the horses, that was Dad’s wallet) by covering horse sports and top equestrian athletes for dozens of equestrian publications. Next, I spent a few years doing public relations for horse-related businesses.

Many years, and an awful lot of NON-horse related work have intervened, but lately, on occasion, I’m once again writing about horses. One of my essays will be included in the forthcoming collection, Why We Ride: Women Writers on the Horses in Their Lives, to be published next spring by Seal Press. It’s edited by Verna Dreisbach, with a foreword by Jane Smiley. Here’s a glimpse of the wonderful cover.

Update: I just found out the book is now available for pre-order through Amazon.






2 comments:

Mary Rose Webster said...

Hi Lisa, My first publication was in "P.C.", a neighborhood newspaper published by The Pickwick Club, of which I was the president, Sir Samuel Pickwick, and my best friend was Sir Augustus Snodgrass. We reported the news ("The Roses bought a new rug for their living room."), solicited advertising, and published our stories. Our parents thought we were amazing; they helped with the typing. We sold the newspaper, all of three issues, in the neighborhood. The originals are now safely stored with other childhood treasures in a trunk I keep in the attic. We were 10, like you, clearly a ripe age for journalistic ventures.

Elizabeth Searle said...

CONGRATS Lisa--
Yes, the cover is fab. and also the subject should draw in a lot of readers-- lots of women who went horse-crazy as girls will stampede this book-- you guys should do some horse-themed readings--
cheers--
E.