When it seems as if I'm busy, busy but getting nowhere, I write a DOING List. Not a TO DO list, but a look-what-I'm-doing/accomplishing/what-I-have-in-the-works list. Sort of like a motivation-approbation-affirmation rolled into one. I began doing this when my first child was a needy, high-maintenance, colic-y infant and entire days went by with my feeling that I had done nothing -- until I started a DOING list, and realized all I was doing.
This week, I had that old familiar feeling – wheels constantly spinning, but really, what am I doing? So I went to my old DOING list. And came up with…
…(reading and trying out recipes and) writing a review of a cookbook…preparing first draft of syllabus for a fall writing class…starting a requested essay for a website about a bittersweet aspect of motherhood…finishing copyediting a dissertation chapter for a client…coaching a first time author through a new publicity project…coordinating three guest posts for my own blog and…writing one for someone else's blog…working through editor revisions to a complicated, unusual essay for a new venue I am really psyched about being published by (fingers crossed, OK?)…learning how to edit my own website (HA!)...working out details for judging a writing contest in the fall…
And you? What mixed bag of projects are you working on - go ahead, put your own DOING list in the comments...
- The Writers Circle (Northern NJ) Summer 2015. I'm teaching in Ridgewood, Montclair, & Teen Intensive/Drew Univ.
- * I Should Be Writing! * Boot Camp: Reclaim Your Writing Life. A solo, on-demand, online course. Begin any time.
- Writing Coaching - Customized Assistance, Guidance, Editorial Feedback (booking Summer & Fall)
- Editorial Services
- One-Week CNF Workshops: You Choose the Week(s) and Topic(s)
- Events 2015
- My Writing / Publications