Friday, April 9, 2010

Friday Fridge Clean-Out: April 9th Edition

► Do you have a daily word or page count, or something similarly concrete to take you from concept to finished manuscript over the course of a set number of days, weeks, months? Allison Winn Scotch shares her “brick by brick” strategy over at Writer Unboxed.

► Literary Mama is running an interview with Jennifer Graf Groneberg, whose memoir, Road Map to Holland, traces her family’s first two years raising a son with Down’s Syndrome. Here is how she got the book done, when her three children were preschool age: “When I was working on the bulk of the book, which took about 50 weeks, I wrote on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We had converted part of our garage to a little office, and I'd go down the hill to the garage/office in the dark of the morning, before the kids were even awake. I'd work very long hours, into the night. On those two days each week, I was completely gone from family life, and I missed it terribly. Even knowing the kids were with Tom, who was not `babysitting’ but on fatherhood duty, I still felt very torn. But that was what seemed to work best for our family, at the time.”

►Big news for Erika Dreifus, of the writer-friendly blog Practicing Writing (and a friend), who learned her short story collection, Quiet Americans, will be published in early 2011. Many congratulations to Erika, whose blog and monthly newsletter are so enormously helpful to writers of all genres. Today she’s posted an interview with Kim Wright, who wrote nonfiction for 25 years and has just published her first novel, Love in Mid Air.

► I love Steve Almond for a lot of reasons, and now I have a new one. Read this exchange between the writer and an anthology editor who tries to justify collecting a sizable advance and then not paying contributors. Thanks, Steve. You speak for us all.

►And finally, if you must, get your Eat, Pray, Love jewelry here.

Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

Erika D. said...

Thank you so much for the kind words, Lisa. (I have to say that I loved that Steve Almond item, too!)